Requirements for dental amalgam separators
Number of dental amalgam separators
Installation of dental amalgam separator
Installation of suction system
Sink traps (amalgam separators connected to sinks)
Patient treatment routines
Labelling of pipes
Cleaning and emptying of water locks and floor drains
Pipework, new builds and refurbishment
Upkeep of amalgam separator at dental practices
Handling of amalgam waste
Environmental maintenance service
Incident management (deviations and improvement proposal
Please e-mail comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
The guidelines have been discussed at several dialogue meetings with dental teams, dental technicians and inspectors at local authorities. The meetings have resulted in many fruitful comments which have been documented. The guidelines have been updated with respect to these
comments. The guidelines have been discussed at the following meetings:
- Environmental responsibles in Swedish Dental Service organizations, November 2017
- Swedental, the largest dental conference in the Nordic countries, November 2017. A digital questionnaire was used in order to get comments on the draft of national guidelines “Recommendations for improved routines at dental facilities in Sweden”
- Environmental Maintenance ServiceTechnicians at Sweden Recycling, December 2017
- Dental teams in Praktikertjänst
- Dental Hygiene Association, February 2018
- Municipalities , March 2018
- Service technicians, May 2018
In May 2018 the project participated having a lecture at a conference arranged by The association for private dental care providers in Sweden.
Quotes from dentists:
"I receive feedback on what may need to be rectified and perhaps the decontamination of my pipes."
"I was really pleased when I was told about the project. During decontamination, more than 0.5 kilograms of elemental mercury were collected. It's comforting to know that this was taken care of in
a good way"
"The whole process was super easy and professional. The decontamination only took up a few hours of the day. When it was finished we could take care of our patients immediately. No supplementary work was needed"
Quotes from inspectors:
"It was very interesting and rewarding day!"
"Thank you for a fruitful meeting!"